Sunday, February 4, 2007

the socialite society

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

as of late i have been grieving a bit about how life feels like it keeps forcing one into isolation. this isolation, i think, is a result of a capitalistic, individualistic society. this type of society breeds the kind of life i never wanted, yet one i find myself straining to fight against. it almost feels inevitable to end up here. here is what i mean by here: work all day, work on a family all night, maybe some TV in there, and then sleep to start it all over again. that is not life and i won't let it be. don't get me wrong, family's fine, but when the world has over 6 billion people in it, i can't imagine why i have to spend 99% of my time with 2. if thats your perogative fine, but its not mine. so this leads me to ponder about those high society socialites. you know the ones- you read about, watch about, and hear about. where the room is filled with smoke, the pinot glasses depleted, trendy music in the air, and constant conversation about literature, philosophy, politics, and religion. this is the society i need. people tell me i'm in the wrong town and frankly i think their right. fresno, generally speaking, is an ulta-conservative-white-picket-fence-suburban breeding town. but i don't want the sub to the urban, i want the core.

so last night was remarkably refreshing. the society came out of the closet and migrated to the only center of fresno culture; the tower district. since i might get out now once a month i was like a kid in a candy store. the same shape pulled out the indie rock vibe and filled veni vidi vici with that aura of trendiness. kind of like you are in the center of it. we even had what i call the 'fresno five family' representaion (the brewers, the bryants, the chandlers, the joneses, and the weavers). in other words, it seemed everyone was there and if you weren't, well, you probably missed out. it was like the good old days at the factory. the lights, the music, the sounds, the fashion, and the smoke. there was even a small fight between joe camel and the marbolo man, which i think ended in a truce. somewhere towards 2 AM i realized that people are so much cooler now then they were at 9 PM. it also dawned on me and my orlando-bloom-shin-high-black-leather-boots, that maybe fresno is not that bad after all. well, at least partially.

PS the super bowl does not count as a socialite gathering

7 comments:

Rebek said...

Yeah, I wasn't there. I was partying with Christopher Walken, Paul Walker, and a whole bunch of Hollywood movie industry types. So I guess I did miss out ;)

Back on task: NO! Fresno isn't bad! Life is what you make it to be. You can complain about it or improve it. Your choice.

I'll get off of my soap box now :) But first, thanks for updating this thing a lot. I'm always checking it!

Anonymous said...

trev. couldn't agree more. I rarely get out, mostly when all the boys are back in town! I was just talking to Jacinda about this a couple days ago and how I feel like i'm 18, but my life/work/family make me 45. I feel like i should be hanging out with people more, go out more, but I'm tired at 9:30. We definitely need to chill more often, it just has to be scheduled, which i guess, isn't a bad thing.

Anonymous said...

fuck face...love your wife (one of the two you so happen to be stuck with)

Anonymous said...

ps: a few of those high society socialites pictured above commited suicide

trevor jones said...

haha.

Anonymous said...

you know about my thoughts on all this, but bro, next time you go to Tower, call me.

Rebek said...

Holly = perfection; voice of reason.